With only weeks remaining before the arrival of the new addition to the family (yes, this is the first I’ve mentioned it), we’ve been busy getting various quite literal housekeeping things sorted out. We won’t get around to some of the maintenance and repair items, a few of which only arose a couple months ago *sigh*, but we’re working through the clutter, or at least, relocating some of the clutter until we can get it out of the house.
In between, I’ve also been trying to rush through a few Unfinished Objects (UFOs). With new responsibilities on the way, if they’re not done now, they’ll never get done, and if it’s done, that’s one less bit of clutter to worry about. Fun times.
I started this blanket a couple years ago, around this time in fact. It seemed ambitious at the time, but I was working quite steadily through it until our house was burgled and I just lost motivation to keep going. The next couple of years saw a couple extra rows knitted, but there it sat, neglected. But over the last few of weeks I have ploughed through it and more than doubled its length, and with a bit of perseverance it should be finished in a week-ish.
I also have three sewing projects that are incomplete. One batwing t-shirt I started towards the end of last year with some fabric I am no longer particularly pleased with, and the design from what I can see is not terribly maternity or nursing friendly so that was poorly thought out. It just needs finishing with a twin needle, but the t-shirt fabric I’m using is completely incompatible with the stretch twin needle I have, so I need to go pick up another that will better pierce the fabric. Adding an exposed zipper might make it functional, but it might also make me look like a complete hobo. Something to think about anyway.
There’s an A-line maxi dress that I was hoping to wear for maternity, but the fabric I ordered was a bit more lightweight than I expected, and will need a full slip. It just needs hemming, as I wasn’t able to finish it between our stints in Adelaide, but it does seem unlikely that it will get worn. Should I hate it, there’s enough fabric that I could convert it into a nursing friendly tunic or top later down the track.
The last one, pictured above, is a maternity dress that I found on Joe & Cheryl, and was another one I didn’t get to finish between our Adelaide trips. The design was specifically for maternity, but I added a zip so that it would be nursing friendly as well. It needs hemming, and the fabric I opted for wasn’t the best for using facings, but a little top stitching around the edges should sort that out. I may need a slip under it to stop the static cling, but otherwise I think it’ll make for quite a useful addition to the wardrobe. This one is getting priority after the blanket as it’s the only sewing project that will be immediately useful.
But first, the knitting.
 I say three, but there’s at least two more that I have essentially abandoned. Time will tell if I change my mind and decide to resurrect them again.